On a cold winter’s night, the coziness and feel of a crackling fire are always a must. Many innovations were made to provide people this comfort on a chilly night in the most convenient way possible. For example, there are gas heaters made to replace the struggles we get from traditional wood fireplaces. But as a homeowner in Australia, buying gas log fires Melbourne shops have will mean you need to learn gas log fireplace installation if you want to save money. The installation of these gas log heaters is made to be user-friendly and simple, but it is always recommended to hire a professional. But then again, it never hurts to be informed on what you signed up for.
This article tackles the essential guidelines on buying, installing and safely using gas heaters in your humble abode.
The Ultimate Gas Heater Buying Guide
Discussed below are the different options when buying gas heaters that you can choose from.
Should I get a vented or vent-free gas log heater?
With this question raised, it is always a matter of physical looks versus efficiency. There are also some factors like the fireplace placement and the local building codes that you need to consider before making the purchase. Let us explore these two types more in-depth:
· Vented gas logs – these are considered to be more decorative since the chimney shaft is open, letting a big part of the heat go up and escape thru the chimney.
· Vent-free gas logs – with the chimney shaft closed, vent-free logs give you a guarantee that the heat it produces stays inside you home. Proper ventilation should be observed to avoid the formation of mildew. Flammable objects should be placed at least 36 inches away from the gas log heater as to avoid fire accidents.
Should I opt for a natural gas or a liquid propane gas heat?
· Natural gas – before purchasing a natural gas log set, make sure you check with your local natural gas provider if it is available in your area. Much like your oven, water heater and other natural gas home appliance, natural gas logs must be hard-piped from buried gas service lines before you can use them. This is a renowned gas alternative which costs less although it takes a longer time to heat up your home given that it is a lighter-than-air type of gas. Click here Illusion Gas Log Fires
· LPG or Liquefied Petroleum Gas – a tank of LPG should be positioned outside your house when you are using a gas log fire with it. Your gas tank should also be refilled every so often by your local LP gas dealers. This type of gas log fire burns practically three times hotter than natural gas since it contains more carbon.
Gas Log Fireplace Safety Precautions:
After you have chosen and professionally installed your new gas log heater, you need to observe proper handling and use to avoid undesirable accidents. Here are some key safety measures to keep in mind:
1. Always make sure to keep flammable objects like curtains, sofa chairs, carpets, clothes, and others at least 3 feet away from the fireplace to avoid getting the objects to catch fire in case of a draft.
2. When choosing a fireplace installment location, make sure you choose a place that is not drafty or windy.
3. Buy an approved fire extinguisher and place it within an easy-to-reach distance to the fireplace. Beware of counterfeit fire extinguishers, too.
4. Carbon monoxide and smoke detectors are great to install with gas log fires to avoid accidents.